Encircled by a wall of virgin tropical rainforest, alive with a variety of obvious and less obvious wildlife.
Based at The Beach House, Gaya Island where rainforest meets reef! Our PADI 5 Star IDC Dive & Adventure Centre is the perfect destination for marine and wildlife lovers!
Voted No 1 on Trip Advisor’s “Things to do in Kota Kinabalu” we are located just 10 minutes speedboat ride from central Kota Kinabalu. Our Dive & Adventure Centre is ideally situated for visitors and residents of the city to come and spend a day trip with us.
Surrounded by primary rainforest and tropical ocean, visitors can enjoy Daily Scuba Diving, Try Dives for first timers, Snorkelling and Skin Diving/Free Diving. If you prefer to spend your time above the surface, the Dive Centre also offers Trekking, Sea Kayaking & Hiking, sunbathing, wildlife watching or just reading a book to the sound of the jungle. At 15km², Gaya Island is the largest of the five beautiful islands that make up the land mass of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP).
Our Dive & Adventure Centre is encircled by a wall of virgin tropical rainforest, which is alive with a variety of obvious and less obvious wildlife. Hornbills, apes, snakes and butterflies are abundant, and regularly spotted. The Dive Centre is also regularly visited by various species of lizard and a variety of birds so wide that it gets ornithologists very excited at the prospect of spending a day at the Downbelow Beach House. Wild Boars and Proboscis Monkeys also inhabit the island but they are very shy, occasionally heard, but rarely seen. We’ve compiled this ever-growing album of photos of critters we’ve spotted around the dive centre.
Next to our Beach House is a large, well-kept grassy area, ideal for camping, football and volleyball. We have basic toilets and showers for guests. We can accommodate very large groups for team building events and adventure training.
Jetty Dives & Beach Dives to our House Reef
In front of the Beach House is a stunning shallow lagoon, which is where we conduct our confined water diver training for beginner divers wishing to Try Dive. Just a giant stride from our jetty is our House Reef, affectionately known as Home Corner. Sloping to a maximum depth of 20m, we have a few hidden treasures among the usual tropical marine life living within this ecosystem.
The Rest of the Park on Our Doorstep
We are strategically positioned for the passing Whalesharks and Manta Rays throughout March and April. Their annual migration path is just minutes away by our powerful speedboats. All other dive sites within the TARP are within a few minutes from our centre allowing us to comfortably conduct 3 boat dives per day.
Gaya Island where rainforest meets reef! Our PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre is the perfect destination for marine and wildlife lovers!
Surface Intervals on Dry Land with Fresh, Hot Meals
The Right Tools for the Job
- Our dive boats provide spacious, comfortable transportation to dive sites. With powerful outboard engines we can explore new sites off the beaten track.
- Our dive guides and instructors are very experienced and will show the best of the reefs and the creatures that live among them.
- All our dives are drift/swims so rest assured that wherever we surface the boat will pick us up – no need for long swims back to anchor!
- Our equipment room stocks a good variety of rental gear of different shapes & sizes.
- Our high standards of safety ensure they are professionally maintained and serviced.
- We are underwater camera friendly with large, freshwater soaking and washing facilities.
- With our Managing Director being a professional underwater photographer, this was a necessity!
- There are books and posters to help identify your latest underwater discoveries and helpful friendly staff to assist and inform you of the activities, courses and programs we run.
- Our Beach House Dive Centre is the location for our Instructor Development Courses and Internships.
How Do We Get There?
Simple. We do not take ‘walk-in’ clients, pre-booking is required. So, just drop us an email, or visit our Dive Shop and Travel Centre in KK Times Square or even phone us on +6 012 866 1935, +6 088 488 997. All our programs include a free pick up from your KK city hotel*. Alternatively, you can take a taxi to the Sutera Harbour Marina’s waiting hut and meet us there (pre-booking is required).
* subject to pre-bookings & availability