Explore Selingan Turtle Island off the coast of Sandakan in the Sulu Sea, and a standard or boutique accommodation tour package for a wildlife safari along the Kinabatangan River. Also included are visits to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre & Gomantong Caves in a 4D3N or 3D2N itinerary!
||Malaysian Airlines MH2042
||Air Asia AK6492
||Malaysian Airlines MH2047
||Air Asia AK6495
||Malaysian Airlines MH3094
||Malaysian Airlines MH3095
||Malaysian Airlines MH2711
||Air Asia AK5195
Ex-Sandakan Selingan Island, better known as Turtle Island, is the largest of 3 islands in the Turtle Island Park, and also famous for its the conservation efforts of green and hawksbill turtles. Visitors are suggested to stay overnight to witness turtles laying eggs at the shore and the hatchlings making their way into the sea for the first time. At the turtle hatchery, visitors learn how the eggs are collected, how mother turtles are tagged and the importance of releasing hatchlings into the Sabah waters under protection. We have combined this overnight visit with a further 1 or 2 nights along the Kinabatangan River for a complete wildlife experience.
- Selingan Turtle Island.
- River Cruise the Kinabatangan River and Oxbow Lakes.
- Visit Gomantong Caves.
- Visit Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre.
Pick up will be at 08:45, from either Sandakan Airport or your accommodation in Sandakan town, for transfer to Crystal Quest Jetty. Transfer to Selingan Turtle Island will be a 75-minute (approx.) boat ride.After check-in at Selingan Island chalet, lunch is served and then you are free at leisure. If you wish, you may go swimming or snorkelling (equipment is available for rent from the resort at your own expense).After dinner in the cafeteria, rangers will call for guests to visit the turtle hatchery and to witness turtles laying eggs.
Breakfast in the cafeteria is at 06:30, before the boat transfer at 07:00 to return to Sandakan.
Upon arrival, a minivan will transfer you to the Gomantong Caves to explore the largest producer of birds’ nest in Sabah. After, you will transfer to the Kinabatangan River and check in at your chosen accommodation. You are free at leisure after your buffet spread for lunch.
At 16:00, a river cruise is scheduled for you to join and search for wildlife before the sun sets.
Back to the lodge for dinner, and overnight for an early start the next morning!
(Excluded from 3D2N program)
The morning river cruise starts early, at 06:00, to spot more wildlife along the Kinabatangan River.
Breakfast is served when returning to the lodge.
If you are staying at the standard accommodation – you will trek to the Oxbow Lakes.
If you are staying at the boutique accommodation – you will enjoy a jungle walk (2000m) around the resort. Another river cruise is scheduled at 16:00 for another chance to spot more wildlife.
After breakfast at the lodge, transfer to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre.
At the information centre, watch the enlightening documentary on the conservation efforts to reintroduce the orphaned orang utan into their natural jungle habitat, and proceed to the feeding platform to witness them. Lunch will be at a local restaurant, en-route to either Sandakan airport or your accommodation in Sandakan.
Optional Add On Trips
Sun Bear Rehabilitation Centre
Sandakan City Tour
Danum Valley Wildlife Reserve
Tabin Wildlife Reserve
- 3D2N or 4D3N full board meals, Visit to Selingan Turtle Islands, Selingan Turtle Island chalet accommodation (twin bed room, air-con, private bathroom), Visits to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre and Gomantong Caves, Entrance fees, Return road transfers, English-speaking guide, River cruises 1 morning, 2 late afternoon (4D/3N), 1 morning, 1 late afternoon (3D/2N), Boutique or Standard accommodation at Kinabatangan River, Unlimited Coffee and Tea.
- Airfares, Video/Camera entrance fees at Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, Alcohol and carbonated drinks, Drinking Water, Other items not explicitly stated.
- Lightweight clothing long sleeves & long pants/trousers, Binoculars, Torchlight, Sunscreen, Leech Socks, Insect repellent, Raincoat or poncho, Good walking shoes, Hat.
Due to weather conditions, activities may be subject to re-scheduling to best meet operations, as well as clients health and safety. Wildlife cannot be predicated nor guaranteed because it is a spontaneous chance to spot any in their natural rainforest habitat.
Rates may vary should the standard itinerary needs alteration to cater to your flight details or other program’s schedule.
Please take note of the following Selingan Turtle Island’s Sabah Parks Regulations:
- Only flashless photography is allowed near the turtles
- Video recording devices are not permitted
- Visitors are not allowed to move around the island on their own from 1800hrs – 0600hrs